As a yoga teacher I always tell my students if you need to leave the class early, please do not skip Savasana! Every class is in preparation for this pose. If you are still thinking of skipping the pose, see some of the benefits.
- Helps reduce stress
- Good for metabolism
- Like a tonic for the body
- Balances nervous system
- The important thing is not to be too cold. Even if you feel hot now, the body temperature can drop in this pose, and the last thing you want to do is spend your time shivering when you instead are trying to sink into inner peacefulness. Really surrender. Also, if the floor is cold, put a blanket underneath you between the floor and your mat. If you have a cold, lie on your side if you feel you are going to cough.
- Lie on your back with your legs as wide as your mat, palms facing up and out to the sides. Tense every part of the body and then let it go. Start from the toes and make your way up the body. A great thing to do is to tense your shoulders up towards your ears and then let it go. Tense the face, stick out your tongue and then relax. Imagine your eyeballs are sinking back into the skull. Just lie there. Thoughts may come and go: just let them. Don’t stop them, but just be: surrender and allow yourself to just go.
- Stay here for 2-20minutes depending on the time you have.
- To come out roll slowly onto your right side and take a few breathes before slowly coming up.
If you are anything like me you will fee refreshed and relaxed after doing this.
Happy relaxing! You’re worth it!
Never miss a yoga tip again: join my newsletter community and I will ping you a free meditation guide!
The Word Sprite